Thursday, January 23, 2014

OLDBOY


Directed by: Chan-wook Park
Released: 2003

This is one I'd been meaning to see for a long time, and goddamn, I'm really glad I finally watched it.  A man is imprisoned for no reason for 15 years.  At first, he doesn't even want to get out, he just wants to know why he's there.  No one will tell him.  He's fed, clothed, and has a room that looks more like a rundown hotel than any kind of prison.  Doesn't look like the worst way to do time.  After 15 years, he's released, still with no knowledge of why he was there in the first place-- which becomes the premise for the movie.  Who were his captors?  Why didn't they kill him?  Why did they take him in the first place?  It's a mystery, it's a thriller, it's got action..  there's a lot to take in.  It's beautifully shot and acted.  There's a lot of "what the fuck" reveals along the way, particularly when he figures out who had him imprisoned.  And the ending, while not perfect, was satisfying enough for me.  I will not be seeing the American remake.  Unless I really feel like punishing myself, which I'm sure will happen at some point.  Highly recommended.  8.5/10. 

No comments:

Post a Comment